2020-2021 Academic Catalog

Financial Aid

Financial Aid Available

Obtaining a quality education today represents not only an investment of time and energy, but a substantial financial commitment as well. While the responsibility for financing university costs belongs to students and their families, the university will assist in meeting this financial obligation. Concordia University helps its students discover every possible source of aid. Every effort is made to identify the student’s needs and to create a financial aid package to meet those needs.

Concordia University participates in many excellent programs of financial aid to college students which have been developed nationally, within the state of California and within the church. Included in the various sources of aid are:

  • Assumption Program of Loans for Education (APLE)
  • Cal Grant A and B
  • Federal College Work Study
  • Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan for Graduate Students
  • Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan for Undergraduate Students
  • Federal Direct Stafford Student Loan
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • LCMS District Grants
  • Veterans Benefits (Yellow Ribbon Program)

Concordia University Awards, Grants and Aid

  • Athletics Award
  • Christ College Grant
  • Dean’s Academic Scholarship
  • Eagle's Award
  • First Generation Grant
  • Forensics Award
  • Friends of Concordia Grant
  • Honors Scholarship
  • Lutheran Student Award
  • Music Award
  • Phi Theta Kappa Academic Scholarship
  • Presidential Honors Scholarship
  • Provost’s Academic Scholarship
  • Regents Academic Scholarship
  • Theatre Award
  • Trustee Scholarship

How to Apply for Financial Aid

To apply and be considered for federal, state or institutional aid programs, the following documents must be completed. For academic scholarship, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will determine your academic award at the time of acceptance and the Financial Aid Office will automatically award it to you.

  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): FAFSA is available on the Web at www.fafsa.gov. All students applying for need based aid (including federal and state aid) must complete a FAFSA. The FAFSA must be received by the federal processor on or before March 2 (received, not postmarked). Concordia University’s federal school code is 013885.
  • California Grant Program: California residents only must request their high school counselor to submit their GPA Verification Form, postmarked by March 2. Transfer students should request/submit this form to their last attended college.
  • Student Aid Report (SAR): All FAFSA applicants will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) summarizing the information reported on the FAFSA along with the calculated expected family contribution (EFC) toward educational costs. Check all the SAR information for accuracy. Make sure Concordia University is listed on the SAR. Make necessary corrections on the web.
  • Institutional Forms: Students must complete and return applicable scholarship and activity award applications to the department or professor as indicated on the form (please refer to the checklist for listed forms).


When a student submits the FAFSA online, they may be randomly selected by the Federal processor for a process called "verification." This means the Department of Education requires the university's financial aid office to determine the accuracy of the information the student provided on their online FAFSA application. Students who receive this notification are asked to complete the following steps in compliance with Federal guidelines.

Verification Steps

  1. Complete the IRS Data Retrieval through FAFSA on the web.
  2. Submit the appropriate verification forms to the Office of Financial Aid as requested.

Awarding of Financial Aid

Financial aid is awarded to eligible applicants after the following requirements have been fulfilled:

  1. Acceptance for admission or readmission to Concordia University.
  2. Completion of all application procedures including FAFSA.
  3. Submission of all supporting or requested documents to the Financial Aid Office.

Once all the above requirements have been met, the university will begin to make financial aid offers to eligible students in the order that files are completed.

Applicants can avoid delay in receiving financial aid offers by filing all necessary forms by deadline dates and by applying early for admission to Concordia University.

All financial aid is awarded on a year-to-year basis and is dependent upon sufficient funding. Therefore, it is advisable to apply early and adhere to deadline dates. Awards are made on a first-come, first-served basis to all eligible applicants as funds are available.

Students must complete their financial aid files by March 2 in order to receive maximum institutional aid to which they are entitled the following academic year. Returning students who complete their financial aid file after April 1 will receive 25% less in institutional aid. Returning students who complete their financial aid files after June 1 will receive 50% less in institutional aid. Students completing after July 1 will receive 75% less in institutional aid. August 7 is the final deadline for all financial aid documents. Documents requested to complete a financial aid file must be submitted 14 days prior to the close of the term. For all students: FAFSA’s received after August 30 will not be eligible for any need-based institutional aid.

Students approved for readmission to the university are eligible for financial aid based on financial aid awarding policies based on initial entrance to the university as a freshman or transfer student.

Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Federal regulations require all schools participating in Title IV financial aid programs to have a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy. Title IV financial aid programs include:

  • Pell Grant
  • Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan
  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
  • Federal Direct PLUS Loans
  • Work Study

The requirements of this policy apply to all students receiving federal and state aid, and institutional aid per university policy.

Minimum Standards

To remain eligible for federal grants, loans, and work-study, students must meet the standards indicated below at the end of each semester. Please note the standards to establish and maintain eligibility for Title IV assistance are more stringent than the University’s academic standards for continuous enrollment. At the end of each term of enrollment, students must earn the minimum cumulative GPA, minimum number of credit hours, and be within the maximum timeframe. Failure to meet the minimum cumulative standards may result in a loss of financial aid eligibility.

Qualitative Measure of Progress

The qualitative requirement sets a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) for the degree level at which a student is classified. Note: This is the GPA used to determine one’s status and includes grades from courses taken at all other schools that are accepted by the university. To remain in compliance, a student must maintain the following cumulative GPA after each period of assessment:

  • Minimum cumulative GPA for undergraduate students is 2.0
  • Undergraduate academic scholarship requires a cumulative GPA 2.5
  • Undergraduate Honor’s Scholarship requires a cumulative GPA 3.3

  • Undergraduate Presidential Honor’s Scholarship requires a cumulative GPA 3.5
  • Minimum cumulative GPA for graduate students is 3.0
  • Minimum cumulative GPA for graduate MAED students is 3.25

Quantitative Measure of Progress

The quantitative requirement contains two components, Pace of Progression and Maximum Time frame.  

  1. Pace of Progression/Completion Rate
    The credit hour completion rate reflects the pace at which students must progress to ensure that they are able to complete their degree program within the maximum timeframe. The pace of progression is calculated by dividing the cumulative number of hours the student has successfully earned by the cumulative number of hours the student has attempted. All students regardless of classification must earn 67% of all hours attempted. This is a cumulative calculation and includes credits attempted at all schools before and while attending Concordia.
  2. Maximum Time Frame
    The maximum timeframe for undergraduate students to complete their degree cannot exceed 150% of the published length of the academic program. Hours are counted starting with the semester the student entered school, even those semesters in which he/she did not receive financial aid. The maximum timeframes are listed below:
    • Bachelor Degree’s 180 or 192 Hours Attempted 
    • Graduate Degree’s Hours Attempted required for program

Hours Attempted: Hours attempted include all hours pursued in the student’s career and are counted in the maximum timeframe whether or not financial aid was received. Attempted hours also include the following: withdrawals, incompletes, failing grades, repeated coursework, and transfer credits accepted by the University.

Financial Aid Warning

Students who do not meet the SAP standards will be placed on Financial Aid Warning. While on Warning status, students will continue to receive financial aid. All students who are notified of their Warning status should seek academic counseling and take advantage of all other student services available to ensure student success at Concordia University.

Financial Aid Termination

Students who do not meet the SAP standards for more than one term will be prohibited from receiving all financial aid. Being on Probation status does not prohibit a student from continuing their education. Students who have lost their financial aid eligibility may be reinstated once they demonstrate satisfactory academic progress.

Appeal Standards

Only appeals for the following reasons will be accepted:

  • A death of an immediate family member of the student.
  • Medical/hospitalization of the student.
  • Mitigating circumstances beyond the student’s control that affected their academic progress.

Appeal Process

All appeals must be submitted in writing, and include the Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal Form, with supporting documentation attached, to the Financial Aid Office. Acceptable documentation for each circumstance must be stated in the appeal letter and supporting documentation must be attached, such as medical records, death certificates and any documentation that supports the student’s mitigating circumstances.  The Director of Financial Aid will approve or deny appeals as they are submitted. Results of an appeal will be sent to the student in writing. Any student whose appeal is denied by the Director of Financial Aid has the right to appeal to the Financial Aid Committee. The Financial Aid Committee will use the same criteria in rendering its decision.

Appeal Decision

If a student’s appeal is approved, the student will be placed on Probation. A student on Probation will continue to be eligible for financial aid on a semester by semester basis provided they meet the required terms and conditions as indicated in the student’s approval. Failure to meet these requirements on a term by term basis will result in Termination of financial aid.

If a student’s appeal is denied, the student must meet SAP standards before any further financial aid may be awarded as long as the student hasn’t reached the maximum units.

Reinstatement of Financial Aid

To reinstate financial aid a student must have an approved Financial Aid Appeal or must meet the financial aid satisfactory academic progress cumulative qualitative, quantitative, and maximum time frame standards. Neither paying for classes out of pocket, nor sitting out a period of time is sufficient, in and of itself, to re-establish a student’s financial aid eligibility.

Audited Courses

Audited courses will not be funded by financial aid and are not included in any financial aid satisfactory academic progress measurements.

Consortium Credits

Credits for which financial aid is received under a consortium agreement will be included in the calculation of cumulative GPA, completion percentage, and maximum time frame.  Additional information regarding Consortium Agreements can be found here.

Hours Attempted

Hours attempted include all hours pursued in the student’s career and are counted in the maximum time frame whether or not financial aid was received. Attempted hours also include the following: withdrawals, incompletes, failing grades, repeated coursework, and transfer credits accepted by the university.

Repeated Coursework

Undergraduate students are allowed to repeat a course as often as allowed by the academic policies of the university. Students are allowed to repeat a previously passed course and have it count toward enrollment for financial aid eligibility only once. However, all repeats count against the maximum timeframe (total attempted credits) and reduce the pace/completion rate because they count as earned credits only once.

Transfer Credits

Transfer credits accepted by the institution and applied toward a student’s degree, diploma, or certificate requirements to graduate will apply toward the maximum time frame calculation. If at the point of admission a transfer students prior academic record does not meet the colleges minimum cumulative qualitative or quantitative SAP standards, the university may immediately place the student in a probation status for financial aid eligibility.

Treatment of Grades (Grading System)

  • Courses for which a student receives a letter grade of A, B, C, D, P or CR are included in the calculation of cumulative credit completion percentage as courses successfully completed. 
  • Courses for which a student receives a letter grade of IP, I, N, NP, IF, F, W or GD will be treated as credits attempted but not successfully completed.


Credits for which a grade of “W” is received are considered attempted credits but not successfully completed credits. A grade of “W” does not impact GPA but does negatively impact the cumulative completion percentage and counts toward the maximum time frame.     

Return of Title IV Federal Financial Aid Policy

This policy is in effect as a result of the Higher Education Amendments of 1998 (HEA 98). The Federal Title IV programs covered under this policy include Federal Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal Direct Stafford LoanFederal Direct Plus, and Grad Plus Loans. A student withdrawing from Concordia University during a semester must file an Official Withdrawal Form with the Office of the Registrar. If a student is not able to visit the office, he/she may contact a staff person in the Office of the Registrar regarding the withdrawal date. The student’s official withdrawal date will be determined by the university as:

  1. the date the student began the university’s withdrawal process;
  2. the midpoint of the semester, if the student withdraws without notifying the university; or
  3. the student’s last date of attendance at an academically related activity, as documented by the university.

If the student begins the withdrawal process and then later decides to continue attendance at Concordia University, the student must indicate this in writing to the Office of the Registrar and indicate that his/her intention is to complete the semester.

If the student withdraws during a semester, the portion of the federal grants and loans a student is entitled to receive is calculated on a percentage basis by comparing the total number of days in the semester to the number of days that the student completed before he/she withdrew. If the percentage earned is 60% or greater, the student is considered to have earned 100% of eligibility. This policy does not affect the student’s charges. The university’s withdrawal policy will be used to determine the reduction, if any, in the student’s tuition, room and board charges. If it is determined that a portion of the financial aid received on the student’s behalf is unearned, the university shares with the student the responsibility of returning those funds. Any grants and loans that a student is required to return to the federal programs are considered an over payment. The student must either repay the amount in full or make satisfactory payment arrangements with the Department of Education to repay the amount.  If the student fails to repay or make arrangements to repay an over payment, the student will lose his/her eligibility to receive future federal financial aid at any institution.

Payment of Tuition and Fees

All tuition and fees are due and payable as published online at www.cui.edu/bursar. Tuition and fees may be paid at the bursar’s office located on the first floor of Grimm Hall North (Rooms 103/104) or online at www.cui.edu/onlinepayments. Failure to pay fees by the established deadlines will result in a financial hold, late fees and may cause the student to be dropped from all classes.

Financial Holds on Unpaid Balances and Registration

Students who are past due in any debt to the university will have a financial hold on their account. They are not permitted to register in any school or college of the university until the hold is released. A financial hold precludes students from receiving university services including registration, dropping or adding classes, diploma, and/or graduation.

Degrees will not be conferred and diplomas will not be issued until an outstanding student account balance has been paid in full.

Upon withdrawal from the university, accounts with outstanding balances will be transferred to the bursar for collection. Failure to pay past-due balances will result in the account being turned over to a collection agency. When the university is forced to turn the account to collections, the student shall be responsible for all additional costs of collection including attorney fees and costs. In the event of court action to enforce this agreement, the student shall be responsible for paying all court costs and fees, including attorney costs and fees.

Refund Policy

Cancellation of Enrollment

A student may terminate enrollment prior to the beginning of the semester by contacting the Office of the Registrar at registrar@cui.edu.

Students should not assume that the university will drop them for non-payment of fees or for non-attendance. In addition, students must drop/withdraw from classes by the published deadlines to avoid charges or to be eligible for a full or pro-rated refund.

Instructional Materials

Information about refund and book buy-back policies is available in Follett's Bookstore.

Refund After Classes Begin

Students who withdraw from school after classes begin may apply in the Office of the Bursar for refunds (i.e., tuition, room, board). The student is responsible to pay any outstanding charges to the university. Please visit the Office of the Bursar website for more information about the university’s refund policy.

Title IV Federal Funds: Tuition, Fees, Room and Board

  1. Tuition and Fees
    Through Title IV, the university takes the responsibility, on behalf of the student, to credit the student’s account with federal funds to satisfy current charges for tuition and fees.
  2. Room and Board
    Through Title IV, excess federal funds creating a credit balance after tuition and fees are paid in full can be used to pay for room and board charges.

Note:  Students becomes immediately responsible for the entire outstanding balance on their account that is not covered by financial assistance.

The Federal Title IV refund policy operates independently of Concordia University’s refund policy. A student who has received Title IV funds and withdraws from school may owe the university for expenses no longer covered by returned federal aid.

Any excess funds from disbursements of Title IV funds create a credit balance on the student’s account. The university must pay this final credit balance directly to the student or parent borrower as soon as possible, but no later than 14 days after one of the following, as agreed to on the Budgetary Agreement form:

  1. the beginning of the semester.
  2. after loan disbursement causing a credit balance.
  3. the date the school received notice from the student or parent borrower to cancel his/her authorization on a Budgetary Agreement form to have the school manage a credit balance.