OBD Policies

Academic Advising

Professional staff academic advisors will assist in course selection with attention to degree requirements, course prerequisites, and other academic matters. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the student to maintain normal progress, to select the proper courses, and to meet all graduation requirements.

Academic Honesty

The university expects all members of its community to act with responsibility. As an accredited institution of higher learning dedicated to the transmission of knowledge and the free inquiry after truth, Concordia strives to maintain the highest standards of academic honesty and seeks to heed the commands for honesty found in the Scriptures.

The university’s definition of academic honesty and disciplinary procedures may be found in the Code of Conduct.

Academic Probation and Disqualification

A student having a semester grade point average (GPA) below 2.00 will be placed on probation for the following semester.  Students on probation may register for no more than 13 academic units.  A student having a semester GPA above 2.00 but an institutional GPA below 2.00 will remain on academic probation until the institutional GPA is at least a 2.00.  Any student whose GPA has fallen below 2.00 for 2 semesters and whose institutional GPA is below 2.00 will be academically disqualified as a degree student.  Any student whose institutional GPA is less than 1.00 in a single semester will be academically disqualified as a degree student.  Upon dismissal the student has the right to appeal to the designated Dean.  A student can only appeal once during their tenure at Concordia University.

Add-Drop-Withdrawal Changes 

All dates for adding, dropping, and withdrawing are published in advance of the academic year. It is the student's responsibility to complete and to submit the proper form on time for an add, drop, or withdrawal to be officially processed and implemented. Students may not petition because of a missed deadline.

Failure to follow the official procedures outlined above will result in credit not being granted for courses not officially added or the assigning of the grade of “F” for courses not officially dropped. Non-attendance does not constitute withdrawal from a class.


Students who wish to enroll in a course without receiving credit may choose to audit the course until the last day to add each semester. Exams and papers assigned to students taking the course for credit do not apply to audit students; all other expectations are the same. A notation of “Audit” will be assigned upon satisfactory completion of the course. Audited courses do not count toward graduation requirements. Additional information may be obtained in the Office of the Registrar.

Class Postponement

Concordia University reserves the right to cancel the start date of a new group of students if enrollment is insufficient.  No class may be cancelled within three (3) working days of the scheduled start.

Concurrent Registration

Students who wish to take coursework outside of Concordia University Irvine may register concurrently at other regionally accredited institutions. It is recommended that students consult with their academic advisor before taking courses to make sure the course(s) will fulfill degree requirements. If the course is being used for a major or minor requirement, approval will be required from the Department Chair for that major/minor. No student may receive credit for more than 21 units in a semester, including units from regular courses taken on campus, courses taken off campus, individualized study courses, and correspondence courses.  Additionally, only grades of C- or better may be transferred; only transfer grades of C or better may be applied to major or minor requirements.

Consortium Agreement

Students wishing to be considered full time (12 units) by being part time at Concordia University and part time at another accredited institution may enter into a consortium agreement and receive Title IV federal financial aid. A minimum of 9 units must be taken at Concordia and all units taken must apply towards the student’s degree. Additional information can be supplied by the Financial Aid Office

Course Repeats

Selected courses—usually those dealing with the development of a skill rather than with the assimilation of information—may be repeated for credit. All other classes may not be repeated for credit but may be repeated for purposes of raising the grade. In such cases, both grades are entered on the transcript but only the higher grade is used in computation of the cumulative GPA.

Dean's List

A full-time student whose semester GPA is 3.80 or higher is recognized as an outstanding student and is placed on the Dean’s List. A full-time student whose semester GPA is between 3.50 and 3.79 is recognized for Academic Commendation. Students must carry a minimum of 12 units to be considered for recognition.

Grade Appeal Process

The grade appeal process can be found in the Student Handbook.

Grade Replacement

A current student who wishes to repeat a course outside of Concordia University Irvine (CUI) and replace the CUI grade may do so under the following guidelines:

  1. The process is not automatic and the student must initiate a Petition for Grade Replacement by Transfer Course form through the Registrar’s Office prior to taking the course outside of CUI.  The Dean of the school for which the course is being replaced will approve/deny the petition. 
  2. Grade replacement by a transfer course is only available to undergraduate students and only coursework applied to an undergraduate degree may be considered for grade replacement.  
  3. All CUI grades will remain on a student’s transcript.  The CUI grade being replaced will be notated next to the grade by an “E” (excluded) on the transcript and the CUI grade will be excluded from the cumulative GPA.
  4. A student may not take more than three (3) distinct courses for Grade Replacement.
  5. The course has not been previously repeated for Grade Replacement.
  6. The Petition for Grade Replacement shall be processed only if:
    1. The grade earned in the enrollment at CUI was a C-, D+, D, D- or F.
    2. The course has not been previously repeated with a C or higher for a major course, or a C- or higher for a Q&I or elective course.
    3. A student has not been awarded an undergraduate degree from CUI.
  7. Academic standing will not be adjusted for the term of the grade replacement.

Grading System

Concordia University computes the grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0-point scale (see below). Specific grading requirements for each course will vary greatly and the letter grades cannot be defined here other than in a general manner.

A 4.0 grade points Excellent
A- 3.7 grade points
B+ 3.3 grade points
B 3.0 grade points Good
B- 2.7 grade points
C+ 2.3 grade points
C 2.0 grade points Satisfactory
C- 1.7 grade points
D+ 1.3 grade points
D 1.0 grade points Barely Passing
D- 0.7 grade points
F 0.0 grade points Failure

Au (Audit)
Assigned for classes attended for no credit and for the purpose of gaining information without the requirement of tests or papers.

I (Incomplete Default grade: C, D, or F)

Assigned when a student, with the consent of the instructor, postpones the submission of certain work because of extenuating circumstances. Incompletes must be removed within four weeks from the conclusion of the class unless an extension is granted by the instructor with the approval of the Dean. No more than two incompletes per semester. Failure to remove an incomplete will result in the automatic change to the alternate grade given at the same time as the incomplete.

IP (In Progress)
For undergraduate programs, an "IP" is assigned when an educational experience (e.g., student teaching, practicum, internship, etc.) is designed to extend beyond a single grading period. Students have 1 calendar year to complete the requirements for the course. The calendar year begins on the first day of the semester the student enrolled in the course. The “IP” grade will default to the grade of “F” after the 1-year period if the work is not completed.  For graduate degrees, the "IP" grade is assigned for courses that are designed to take more than one term to complete.  The "IP" will remain on the transcript and the student will receive a grade in a subsequent term.

P (Pass) / NP (No Pass)
Assigned in selected courses and educational experiences where a letter grade is not assigned (e.g. Capstone projects, Doctoral dissertations, Master’s theses, Internships, Practicums, and other courses as determined by individual programs and published in the program handbook). The P/ NP grade is not factored in for Grade Point Average (GPA) purposes.

W (Withdrawal)
Courses may be dropped without record of enrollment during the first week of each session.  From weeks 2 through week 4, courses may be withdrawn from with a “W” with the approval of the academic advisor.  No courses may be withdrawn from after week 5.  Students who withdraw from all their semester classes will need to formally withdraw from the university and should speak to their advisor.

It is the student’s responsibility to bring any error in grades to the attention of the instructor within 1 semester following the issued grade. Grade changes are made only because of computation or recording errors and must be corrected no later than the last day of classes of the next full semester. Submission of extra work after a semester is completed will be permitted only when a grade of “Incomplete” was assigned for the specific course.

Late Assignment Policy

Late work will be accepted only by prior arrangement with the instructor before the due date for the assignment.  Full credit will not be given for late work.  However, each faculty member has the prerogative to set their own policy for late work, and the policy for each course is clearly stated in the syllabus.

Latin Honors at Graduation

The following Latin honors are awarded to qualified recipients of the bachelor’s degree at commencement ceremonies. These Latin honors are determined on the basis of the cumulative GPA of all coursework taken at Concordia University and at all other colleges and universities attended.

Latin honors recognition for graduation ceremonies is based on GPA and credits completed through the previous semester, but the student’s permanent record will designate Latin honors including the final semester’s GPA.

Cum laude (with distinction):
Awarded to students whose cumulative GPA is between 3.70 and 3.799.

Magna cum laude (with high distinction):
Awarded to students whose cumulative GPA is between 3.80 and 3.899.

Summa cum laude (with highest distinction):
Awarded to the students whose cumulative GPA is 3.90 or above.

Online Class Attendance

Registered students have freely accepted personal responsibility for enrollment and class attendance. Students are expected to attend all class and laboratory sessions for the courses in which they are enrolled.  Students are expected to notify their instructor(s) of planned absences in advance and unplanned absences, due to sickness or emergency, within a reasonable period of time. Instructors are expected, per university policy and procedures, to record student attendance. Course syllabi will specify each instructor's procedures for handling absences consistent with university, school, and program requirements. 

Residency Requirement

A minimum of 32 units must be completed in residence at Concordia.  Of those 32 units, 21 must be upper division (300/400 level) and at least 18 of these units must be in the major.

Right to Petition

Students may petition for the review of certain university academic policies when unusual circumstances exist. After action has been taken on the petition, the student will be notified of the decision. A copy of the action will be placed in the student’s permanent file. Petition forms and additional information may be obtained in the Office of the Registrar. The missing of deadlines is not subject to petition.

Second Degrees

Students who have graduated from other institutions may earn a bachelor’s degree from Concordia University if they fulfill the following requirements:

  1. They complete a minimum of 32 units in residence at Concordia University.
  2. They complete all Concordia University general education graduation requirements.
  3. They complete all the courses for a major, including a minimum of 50% of the major units in residence.

Students who have received a bachelor’s degree from Concordia University and return to complete the requirements for another major will not be given a second diploma, nor will their transcripts reflect a second degree. They will, however, be certified as having completed an additional major.

Special Requirements for Majors and Minors

Students may complete a major or minor by completing the required units. The following rules apply with regard to major/minor relationships.

  1. Each major must contain a minimum of 28 units unique to that major.
  2. Each minor may contain no more than 50% of its units that are included in the student’s major or in another minor.

Stopping Out

Students who stop out for one semester and now desire to re-enroll at Concordia are required to be readmitted to the university.  All students who are applying for readmission must go through the admission process and should contact the Concordia Admission Office for an application.

The specific categories and requirements are:

  1. Readmission following disqualification: the student must show evidence indicating that the deficiency which led to disqualification has been removed.
  2. Readmission following a leave of absence: the student must show that the situation necessitating the leave of absence has been resolved.
  3. Students must submit official transcripts from all institutions attended during the absence from Concordia. All readmission applications are reviewed by the Admission Committee.  Readmission to the university is not guaranteed.

Students returning to Concordia after an absence of one (1) term or more will re-enter under the catalog that is current at the time of return.  Students with junior or senior status may appeal this policy unless the student chooses to re-enter into a different program than previously enrolled.

Student Classification

For various purposes on campus (e.g., registration, financial aid) students are classified into levels based on completed semester units. The following levels are applicable to bachelor degree students:

Freshman 0—29.99 units
Sophomore 30—59.99 units
Junior 60—89.99 units
Senior 90 units and above

Student Rights and Privacy

Each student of Concordia University has a right to

  1. review their official educational records, files, documents, and other materials which contain information directly related to them, and
  2. challenge such records that are inaccurate, misleading or otherwise inappropriate.

It is the policy of the university that unless excluded by state or federal law, no record, files, documents, materials, or personally identifiable information contained therein shall be released to any individual, agency, or organization without the express written consent of the student/alumnus.

Any student desiring to review or challenge their official educational records should contact the Office of the Registrar to determine procedures for such review. Any student desiring to challenge the content of their official educational records should contact the Office of the Registrar.

While the university does not provide general directory services, it may, by law, under special circumstances, release the following information about a student: name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, major field of study, class schedule, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degree and awards received, and the most recent previous public or private school of attendance. Any student who does not wish such information to be released about their participation or status should notify the Office of the Registrar in writing, at the beginning of each semester. The university is required to comply with all federal regulations governed by the Family Educational Right and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Transcripts of Record

Students may obtain an official transcript of their academic record by filing a request with the Office of the Registrar. A fee, paid in advance, is charged for transcripts. Official transcripts will not be released to any student indebted to the university. The issuance of partial transcripts is strictly prohibited. Transcripts from other academic institutions are the property of Concordia University and, as such, are under the control of the Office of the Registrar. Transcripts submitted to Concordia University for admission or credit transfer become the property of Concordia University and will not be returned to students or forwarded to other institutions. Under federal policy, students have the right to view the documents in their file; the university will not make copies of these documents.

Transfer Credit

Concordia University will accept transfer units completed at undergraduate, degree granting, US institutions fully accredited by one of the regional accrediting bodies. CUI will also accept units from international institutions that are formally recognized by their county's ministry of education (requires transcript evaluation by a CUI-approved agency).

Concordia accepts the following General Education certifications to fulfill most of the university’s general education requirements:

  • Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
  • California State University (CSU) General Education Breadth requirements
  • Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT)
  • Oregon and Washington’s Direct Transfer Associate degree (DTA).  Comparable transfer certifications from other states can be considered on a case by case basis.  
  • Associate of Arts (AA) and the Associate of Science (AS) degrees that meet the CSU General Education Breadth requirements

Course requirements for the IGETC, CSU General Education Breadth, ADT, DTA, comparable transfer certifications, and the AA and AS degrees must be completed prior to matriculating to Concordia.  Official certifications and degrees must be submitted upon completion of all required courses.  

A total of eighty-eight (88) semester units are allowed for transfer students, of which a maximum of seventy (70) semester units may be transferred from a regionally accredited community college. Additionally, within the 88 and 70 semester units, only 32 non-accredited, credit by exam (AP, CLEP, DSST), and/or military units may be transferred. Concordia will accept grades of C- or better towards general education or elective credit.  Only grades of C or better may be applied towards a major or minor requirements for graduation.

Non-Accredited Units

Non-Accredited credits are those that come from institutions that are not accredited by a regional accrediting agency.  Under certain circumstances, Concordia accepts credits earned by students who transfer from these institutions.

  • Non-Accredited units are only accepted if taken before a student matriculates to Concordia.
  • Non-Accredited transfer courses may not be applied to major or minor requirements.
  • Non-Accredited transfer courses may be applied to GE requirements and electives if approved by the appropriate program director or dean.

Withdrawal from School

Undergraduate students who no longer wish to continue their enrollment at Concordia University must formally withdraw from the university through the Office of the Registrar by completing a withdrawal form. Withdrawal from all courses may take place through the last day of the semester. Non-attendance does not constitute withdrawal from classes and will result in grades of “F.” Contact the Office of the Bursar to learn about the refund policy and financial aid regarding eligibility after withdrawal. Students who return to the university after withdrawing, regardless of the reason, must be readmitted by the admissions department before they will be allowed to register for classes.