Graduate, Online Bachelor's Degrees, Nursing, and Certificates
Forty-sixth Academic Year 2022 - 2023
Welcome to the Concordia University Irvine Online Catalog.
Concordia is a Lutheran university that develops wise, honorable, and cultivated citizens through the liberal arts and professional studies. We do this by dedicating ourselves to the holistic formation of students, whether undergraduate or graduate. We educate the mind, body, heart, and soul. The formation of the mind takes place in the academic classroom, labs, and wherever our students are engaged in the academic enterprise. The cultivation of the body happens on the athletic fields, gymnasium, intramurals, a lone hiking trail, and in the residential communities on campus. The cultivation of the heart and soul is what makes us a community of faith. As a Lutheran community, we are dedicated to sharing the gospel with all in accordance with Jesus Christ's Great Commission. We encourage and equip our students to think deeply about their own spiritual lives and the cultivation of their soul by witnessing to the love of Christ. Then we ask them to turn their hearts outwards to others, whether they are classmates on campus, in an online classroom, in the local community, or throughout the world.
We invite you to use this catalog to learn more about what a Concordia education has to offer and then to consider becoming a part of the Concordia family, a family whose members know God’s love and strive to reflect that love in interactions with others.
For His Students,
Michael A. Thomas, PhD
Concordia University Irvine, guided by the Great Commission of Christ Jesus and the Lutheran Confessions, empowers students through the liberal arts and professional studies for lives of learning, service, and leadership.
Concordia University Irvine will be among the finest, distinctively Lutheran liberal arts universities in America, preparing wise, honorable, cultivated citizens, informed by the Gospel of Jesus Christ, for the Church and the world.
Concordia University Irvine is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges Senior College and Accrediting Commission (WSCUC) at:
985 Atlantic Ave.
Alameda, CA 94501
Students and other interested parties may review accreditation documents by making a request to the Office of the Provost.
Program accreditations include:
- California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC)
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) (Master of Arts in Counseling)
- International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE)
- National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)
The CUI Board of Regents operates CUI as an institution of higher education.
Non-Discrimination; Student Programs
Concordia University Irvine (CUI) is an educational institution of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod that takes seriously anti-discrimination provisions under federal and state law, and is committed to providing a learning and living environment that promotes student safety, transparency, personal integrity, civility, and mutual respect.
CUI does not discriminate on the basis of disability, age, race, color, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, national and ethnic origin, or any other protected class in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarships and loan programs, athletic programs or any other university-administered programs, except to the extent that religious freedom exemptions apply.
CUI has not applied for the regulatory exemption under Title IX, 34 C.F.R. section 106.12, but the Title IX statutory exemption provided by Congress, see 20 U.S.C. section 1681(a)(3), is self-executing. CUI is entitled to that statutory exemption to the extent the application of Title IX is not consistent with the institution’s religious tenets.
CUI is exempted by the state from California Education Code 66270, to the extent the application of California Education Code 66270 is not consistent with the institution’s religious tenets. The exemption may apply to, but is not limited to, requirements as expressed in University policies, including policies found in the Catalog, the Student Code of Conduct, the Housing Handbook, the Student-Athlete Handbook, the Employee Handbook, and the Student Employee Handbook. CUI retains all rights afforded to us under federal law and the laws of the State of California.
State Authorization and Licensure
States and U.S. territories determine through a formal application process if Concordia University Irvine (CUI) has the authority to issue degrees and operate within a state or jurisdiction. CUI is not required to be authorized in every state. Students are responsible for determining if they are able to fulfill their program’s requirements from their state. Please visit the Disclosures page on CUI’s website for more information.
Concordia University Irvine Catalog Contract Disclaimer
The statements made in this General Catalog constitute official policies of Concordia University Irvine (CUI). These policies are subject to change by the president, the Board of Regents, and the faculty. Students are expected to confer with their academic advisor for precise information concerning academic programs.
CUI has established certain academic requirements which must be met before a degree is granted. This catalog summarizes the total requirements which the student must presently meet before academically qualifying for a degree from CUI. Advisors, program directors, and deans are available to help the student understand and arrange to meet these requirements, but the advisors, program directors, and deans are not responsible for ensuring that the student fulfills them.
In addition, this catalog and the requirements listed in it for any given degree do not constitute a contract of promise by CUI to award the degree upon completion of those requirements by the student. Courses, programs, and requirements described in this catalog for the award of a degree may be suspended, deleted, restricted, supplemented, or otherwise changed in any manner at any time at the sole discretion of the university and its Board of Regents.
Correspondence regarding these policies should be addressed to:
Office of the Provost
Concordia University Irvine
1530 Concordia West
Irvine, CA 92612
An individual may contact the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education for review of a complaint. The bureau may be contacted at:
2535 Capital Oaks Drive, Suite 400
Sacramento CA 95833
The effective date for the 2022-2023 academic catalog is May 9, 2022 to May 5, 2023.
Graduate Learning Outcomes
Concordia University Irvine graduates will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Scholarly Research: Generate scholarly research on problems and issues in their field of study.
- Integrated Learning: Integrate knowledge and skills from current research, scholarship, and/or techniques in their field with other disciplines.
- Ethical Leadership: Apply standards of ethics informed by Christian teachings as they fulfill their vocations as leaders within society.
- Effective Communication: Elucidate disciplinary knowledge and findings in professional and academic contexts through written, oral, and digital media.
- Reflective Practice: Balance Christian perspectives, evidence-based decision making, logical thinking, and consideration of human potential to take appropriate actions that advance their field.
- Community Engagement: Assess and develop cogent positions on significant issues in their field to respond to diverse needs in their respective communities.
- Christian Education Leadership (online)
- Christian Ministry (online)
- Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN)
- Organizational Psychology (online)
- Master of Arts in Church Leadership (4+1 program)
- Master of Arts in Church Leadership
- Master of Arts in Theology
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Business Administration in Sports Business (MBAS)
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Arts in Education (MAED)
- Master of Arts in Educational Leadership (MAEL)
- Doctor of Education (EdD)
- Master of Arts in Coaching and Athletics Administration (MCAA)
- Master of Healthcare Management (MHA)
- Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Master of Science in Coaching and Exercise Sciences (MSCE)
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Master of Arts in Counseling
- Master of Arts in Executive Coaching and Consulting
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Graduate Theology Certificate
- Educational Administration Certificate
- Organizational Change Certificate
- Social-Emotional Learning, Character, and Ethics Certificate
- Special Education Certificate
- Professional Coaching Certificate
- Professional Organizational Leadership Certificate
- Advanced Organizational Leadership Certificate
- Competence and Character Growth Model - Basic Certificate
- Competence and Character Growth Model - Advanced Certificate