Skip to Main Content
Navigated to Policies - Trad UG.

Traditional Undergraduate Academic Policies

Academic Advising

Professional staff academic advisors will assist in course selection with attention to degree requirements, course prerequisites, and other academic matters. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the student to maintain normal progress, to select the proper courses, and to meet all graduation requirements.

Academic Grievance

Students who believe they have been subject to clerical or procedural grading errors or to arbitrary or discriminatory academic evaluation shall follow the recommended procedure.

  • Clerical and Procedural Error

    It is the student’s responsibility to bring any error in grades to the attention of the instructor, in writing, within one (1) semester following the issued grade. Grade changes are made only because of computation or recording errors and must be corrected no later than the last day of classes of the next full semester. Submission of extra work after a semester is completed will be permitted only when a grade of “Incomplete” was assigned for the specific course.

  • Arbitrary or Discriminatory Academic Evaluation

    The student may contact the Dean of the school where the course is housed to obtain the complete policy and procedure to resolve these matters.

Academic Honesty

The university expects all members of its community to act with responsibility and integrity. As an accredited institution of higher learning dedicated to the free inquiry after truth, goodness, and beauty, and to the development of “wise, honorable, and cultivated citizens,” Concordia University Irvine strives to maintain the highest standards of academic honesty and seeks to heed the commands for honesty found in the Scriptures.

All courses and academic work at Concordia seek to empower students for independent learning, resourcefulness, clear thinking, and perception. All submitted work and activities should be genuine reflections of individual achievement from which the student can derive personal satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment. Academic dishonesty, in all its forms, subverts these goals.

The university's definition of academic honesty and disciplinary procedures can be found in the Student Code of Conduct.

Academic Standing

The university is committed to providing assistance to students for academic success, while at the same time maintaining a standard of academic integrity. When a student's academic achievement falls below the standards set by the university, academic probation and disqualification are imposed.

Academic Probation:

A student having a semester grade point average (GPA) below 2.00 will be placed on probation for the following semester. Students on probation may register for no more than 13 academic units. A student having a semester GPA above 2.00 but an institutional GPA below 2.00 will remain on academic probation until the institutional GPA is at least a 2.00.

Academic Disqualification:

Any student whose GPA has fallen below 2.00 for 2 consecutive semesters and whose institutional GPA is below 2.00 will be academically disqualified as a degree student. Any student whose institutional GPA is less than 1.00 in a single semester will be academically disqualified as a degree student. Upon dismissal the student has the right to appeal to the academic dismissal committee. A student can only appeal once during their participation in an undergraduate program at Concordia University Irvine.

Good Academic Standing (GAS)

  • Undergraduate students are in GAS at Concordia University Irvine when their overall cumulative GPA is 2.0 or above.

  • Graduate students are in GAS at Concordia when their overall cumulative GPA is 3.0 or above.

If a student leaves Concordia University Irvine on academic probation and is subsequently readmitted, or if the student is dismissed and readmitted, the student will return on academic probation, regardless of any courses the student may have taken and grades earned in the interim and transferred into Concordia.

Add-Drop-Withdrawal Changes: Non Q&I Core Curriculum

A full-semester course may be added during the first week of the semester without the instructor's approval. During the second week of the semester, a full-semester course may be added with the instructor's approval.

A full-semester course may be dropped during the first 2 weeks of a semester without being recorded on the student's permanent record. A student who does not attend the first day of class or notify the instructor of the absence in advance of the first class session, may be dropped at the instructor's prerogative. This is done only for impacted courses (closed courses with students waiting to add the course).

A full-semester course may be withdrawn from in week 3 through 11 with a grade of “W” and with the instructor's or dean/assistant dean/ department chair's approval. Students may not withdraw from full semester courses after week 11.

After week 11, students may not withdraw from individual courses except by withdrawing from the university completely. Only students withdrawing from the university completely will be granted withdrawal status. No student will be permitted to withdraw from the university during final examination week.

Changes for courses that meet during the first or second half of the semester must be made during the first week of the course.

All dates for adding, dropping, and withdrawing are published in advance of the academic year. It is the student's responsibility to complete and to submit the proper form on time for an add, drop, or withdrawal to be officially processed and implemented. Add/drop/withdrawal forms may be found online. Students may not petition because of a missed deadline.

Failure to follow the official procedures outlined above will result in credit not being granted for courses not officially added or the assigning of the grade of “F” for courses not officially dropped. Non-attendance does not constitute withdrawal from a class.

Add-Drop-Withdrawal Changes: Q&I Core Curriculum

A Q&I Core course, which may not be dropped, may be added or changed during the first 2 weeks of the semester with the consent of the academic advisor.

Students are not permitted to withdraw from a Q&I Core course without the written approval of the instructor and Q&I Core director. Such approval will normally be considered for 1 of 2 reasons:

  1. an exceptional, documented personal tragedy that has prevented the student from participating in and fulfilling the requirements of the course, or

  2. complete withdrawal from the university.

Under normal circumstances and in accordance with the academic virtues of responsibility, merit, and integrity, no student will be permitted to withdraw from a Q&I Core course because of academic performance. Add/drop/withdrawal forms may be found online.

Assessment Program

Student development is the focus of Concordia University Irvine’s mission. Therefore, achievement of the undergraduate learning outcomes and graduate learning outcomes is assessed throughout the student’s time at Concordia in ways that go far beyond the grades achieved in the classes taken. Knowledge, skills, and attitudes are assessed at various points in the areas of Written Communication, Oral Communication, Systematic Inquiry, Quantitative Reasoning, Christian Literacy and Faith, Service to Society and Church, Informed and Responsive Citizenship, and Specialized Knowledge for all undergraduate students. Students in graduate programs will be assessed in the areas of Scholarly Research, Integrated Learning, Ethical Leadership, Effective Communication, Reflective Practice, and Community Engagement. Some assessments occur within specified courses; others occur outside regular course activity.


Students who wish to enroll in a course without receiving credit may choose to audit the course. Not all courses are eligible to be audited and not all programs allow students to audit courses. Enrollment must occur by the last day to add each semester. Exams and papers assigned to students taking the course for credit do not apply to audit students; all other expectations are the same. A notation of “Audit” will be assigned upon satisfactory completion of the course. Audited courses do not count toward graduation requirements. Additional information may be obtained in the Office of the Registrar.

Class Attendance

Registered students have freely accepted personal responsibility for enrollment and class attendance. Students are expected to attend all class and laboratory sessions for the courses in which they are enrolled. Students are expected to notify their instructor(s) of planned absences in advance and unplanned absences, due to sickness or emergency, within a reasonable period of time. Instructors are expected, per university policy and procedures, to record student attendance. Course syllabi will specify each instructor's procedures for handling absences consistent with university, school, and program requirements.

Concurrent Registration

Students who wish to take coursework outside of Concordia University Irvine may register concurrently at other regionally accredited institutions. It is recommended that students consult with their academic advisor before taking courses to make sure the course(s) will fulfill degree requirements. If the course is being used for a major or minor requirement, approval will be required from the Department Chair, Program Director, or Dean for that major/minor. No student may receive credit for more than 21 units in a semester, including units from regular courses taken on campus, courses taken off campus, individualized study courses, and correspondence courses. No more than 6 units may be taken outside of Concordia during a student’s last semester. Additionally, only grades of C- or better may be transferred and applied to major, minor, Q&I general education, or elective requirements.

Consortium Agreement

Students wishing to be considered full time (12 units) by being part time at Concordia University Irvine and part time at another accredited institution may enter into a consortium agreement and receive Title IV federal financial aid. A minimum of 9 units must be taken at Concordia and all units taken must apply towards the student’s degree. Additional information about a consortium agreement can be supplied by the Financial Aid Office.

Course Registration and Load

To be considered full-time, an undergraduate student must be registered for a minimum of 12 units each semester. However, an average of 15 units per semester is required to reach 120 units within 8 semesters or 4 years.

Only students with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher may register for more than 18 units in 1 semester. No student may receive credit for more than 21 units in a semester, including units from regular courses taken on campus, courses taken off campus, individualized study courses, and correspondence courses. Each semester a student wishes to take more than 18 units, an Application for Overload form must be filed with the Office of the Registrar prior to enrolling in the additional course(s). In most cases, students taking more than 18 units per semester will be assessed an overload fee. Contact the Office of the Bursar for more details.

Undergraduate students are required to register each year to reserve classes for the following academic year. Specific dates are published yearly through the Office of the Registrar, and each undergraduate will be sent information explaining the procedure.

A late registration fee of $50 per class will be assessed to those students who do not complete course registration by the deadlines published in the university’s Academic Calendar.

Course Repeats

Selected courses—usually those dealing with the development of a skill rather than with the assimilation of information—may be repeated for credit. All other classes may not be repeated for credit but may be repeated for purposes of raising the grade. In such cases, both grades are entered on the transcript but only the higher grade is used in computation of the cumulative GPA.

Deans' List

A full-time undergraduate student whose semester GPA is 3.80 or higher is recognized as an outstanding student and is placed on the Deans' List. A full-time undergraduate student whose semester GPA is between 3.50 and 3.79 is recognized for Academic Commendation. Students must carry a minimum of 12 units to be considered for recognition. The university publishes the Deans' List and a notation for Deans' List or Academic Commendation is made on the student's transcript.

Dual Bachelor Degrees

Concordia University Irvine will award a maximum of two bachelor’s degrees, one of which must be a Bachelor of Arts and the other a Bachelor of Science, under the following conditions:  (1) the student has completed a minimum of 30 distinct units with 24 distinct upper division units for each degree; (2) at least 75% of the units earned in the major toward each degree are distinct; and (3) the student has completed all prerequisites, supporting courses, Q&I general education requirements, residency requirements and departmental requirements for each major.

Final Exam Week

The class period during final exam week is part of the credit hour(s) of each for-credit undergraduate and post-baccalaureate teacher credential course, whether in person, synchronous online, or a hybrid of these modalities. Instructors of these courses are required to meet with students during the scheduled final exam class period for each course. This class period may be used to administer a final examination or have students give final presentations; it may also be used for summative instruction, course debriefing if students have already submitted a final project, or another relevant culminating experience. Each in-person course will meet in its regularly scheduled classroom and synchronous online courses will meet online as usual. The Registrar's Office sets and communicates the final exam schedule each semester.

Students in these courses are required to attend the scheduled final exam class period for their courses and sections. Instructors are not required to offer an alternative final exam class period for a student because that student's personal schedule (e.g., travel plans, work schedule, preference) conflicts with the scheduled final exam class period that has been posted before the start of the semester. It is the student's responsibility to attend the scheduled final exam class period in order to take the final examination, make the final presentation, or engage in that course's culminating educational experience. If an emergency arises (e.g., hospitalization, house fire, flood) that prevents the student from being able to attend a final exam class period, the student is to communicate with her/his instructor immediately to make appropriate arrangements to fulfill the requirements of that final exam class period. A student with three final examinations and/or presentations scheduled on the same day may appeal in writing, prior to the final exam week, to one of the three instructors or to the appropriate dean, who may reschedule one of those final exam class periods for that student to another day that final exam week.

Grade Replacement

A current student who wishes to repeat a course outside of Concordia University Irvine and replace the Concordia grade may do so under the following guidelines:

  1. The process is not automatic and the student must initiate a Petition for Grade Replacement by Transfer Course form through the Office of the Registrar prior to taking the course outside of Concordia. The dean of the school for which the course is being replaced will approve/deny the petition.

  2. Grade replacement by a transfer course is only available to undergraduate students and only coursework applied to an undergraduate degree may be considered for grade replacement.

  3. All Concordia grades will remain on a student’s transcript. The Concordia grade being replaced will be notated next to the grade by an “E” (excluded) on the transcript and the Concordia grade will be excluded from the cumulative GPA.

  4. A student may not take more than three (3) distinct courses for Grade Replacement.

  5. The Petition for Grade Replacement shall be processed only if: a. The grade earned in the enrollment at Concordia was a C-, D+, D, D- or F.

    1. The grade earned in the enrollment at Concordia was a C-, D+, D, D- or F.

    2. The course has not been previously repeated with a C or higher for a major course, or a C- or higher for a Q&I or elective course.

    3. A student has not been awarded an undergraduate degree from Concordia.

  6. Academic standing will not be adjusted for the term of the grade replacement.

Grading System

Concordia University Irvine computes the grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0-point scale (see below). Specific grading requirements for each course will vary greatly and the letter grades cannot be defined here other than in a general manner. For graduate programs/certificates, see the Minimum Grade Per Course section for applicable grades.

A 4.0 grade points - Excellent

A- 3.7 grade points

B+ 3.3 grade points

B 3.0 grade points - Good

B- 2.7 grade points

C+ 2.3 grade points

C 2.0 grade points - Satisfactory*

C- 1.7 grade points

D+ 1.3 grade points

D 1.0 grade points - Barely Passing**

D- 0.7 grade points

F 0.0 grade points - Failure

* Unsatisfactory for graduate and certificate students.

** Graduate and certificate students do not receive grades lower than a C.

  • Audit (AU)

    Assigned for classes attended for no credit and for the purpose of gaining information without the requirement of tests or papers.

  • Grade Delay (GD)

    Assigned when a grade is not submitted by the instructor by the grade deadline. Grade Delays will remain on the transcript until the instructor submits a grade change to the Office of the Registrar for processing.

  • Incomplete (I*)

    Assigned when a student, with the consent of the instructor, postpones the submission of certain work because of extenuating circumstances. Incomplete grades must be resolved within four (4) weeks from the end of the course unless an extension is granted by the instructor with the approval from the dean. Incompletes will be calculated for academic standing using the default grade. Students with incomplete grades are subject to academic probation and academic dismissal based on the default grade. Failure to resolve an incomplete will result in the automatic change to the alternate grade given at the same time as the incomplete. Default grades are C, D, F, or NP.

  • In Progress (IP)

    Assigned when an educational experience (e.g., student teaching, practicum, internship, thesis, or graduate capstone, etc.) is designed to extend beyond a single grading period. Students have four (4) continuous semesters, including the semester of enrollment and summer, to complete the requirements for the course. A grade of "IP" will be issued after the first semester of enrolment if the work is not completed. For undergraduate programs, the “IP” grade will default to the grade of F or NP if the work is not completed in the allotted amount of time. For graduate and doctoral programs, the "IP" grade will remain on the transcript and the student will receive a grade in a subsequent term.

  • Pass (P) / No Pass (NP)

    Assigned in selected courses and educational experiences where a letter grade is not assigned (e.g. capstone projects, doctoral dissertations, master’s theses, internships, practicums, and other courses as determined by individual programs and published in the program handbook). The Pass/ No Pass grade will appear on the transcript but is not calculated in the GPA.

  • Satisfactory (S) / Unsatisfactory (U)

    Assigned when tracking progress of some practicum or fieldwork hours. The Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grade will appear on the transcript but is not calculated in the GPA.

  • Withdrawal (W)

    Full-semester courses may be dropped without record of enrollment during the first 2 weeks of the semester. From weeks 3 through week 11 of the full semester, courses may be withdrawn from with a “W” grade. For shorter terms (7 to 11 weeks), courses may be dropped without record of enrollment for the first week of the term. During weeks 2-5 (for 7-week terms), weeks 2-6 (for 8-week terms) and weeks 2-9 (for 11-week terms), courses may be withdrawn from with a "W" grade. Instructor or dean/assistant dean consent is required to withdraw from undergraduate courses. Core courses require the director of general education approval to withdraw. The "W" grade will appear on the transcript but is not calculated in the GPA.

Honors Program

Dr. C.J. Armstrong, Director

The university offers an Honors Program for students meeting the Honors admission requirements. Admission to the program for incoming freshmen is offered upon acceptance to the university based on the high school GPA, application essay(s), and overall academic portfolio. Admission to the program for current or transfer students may be granted by petition to the Honors Program director and with faculty recommendations.

The Honors Program makes available a variety of courses and activities that enhance learning and challenge highly motivated students under the banner of Scholarship & Service. Each semester sections of the Q&I general education curriculum are identified in the schedule as being Honors sections. Honors sections provide depth as well as breadth in an academic area, thus challenging and motivating Concordia’s best student scholars. Honors courses employ primary-source readings, seminars, tutorials, research projects, oral presentations, collaborative activities, field trips, special assignments, and/or an integrative approach to topics. Typically, Honors students enjoy smaller class sizes to enhance learning.

Focused research and writing activities can earn Honors points. Examples include the President’s Academic Showcase and Honors Investigations. Such Honors endeavors provide close mentoring by professors and individualized directed learning. Honors points can also be earned through approved Honors sections, study-abroad opportunities, taking foreign language courses, completing a double major, a minor outside of the major, or other approved Honors activities. To remain an Honors student in good standing, Presidential Honors Scholars must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher and complete a President's Academic Showcase by their junior year; Honors Scholars must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher and complete an Honors Investigation or President's Academic Showcase by their junior year. Other students in the Honors Program must also maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher; they are encouraged to do a Showcase or Investigation. Each Honors student's GPA is evaluated at the end of the academic year.

Students in good standing who earn the requisite number of Honors points and do a President's Academic Showcase or Honors Investigation receive recognition at graduation as an Honors Associate or an Honors Scholar. Honors Associates must accumulate 12-17 Honors points; Honors Scholars must accumulate 18 or more points.

Individualized Study

Students may apply for individualized study when a required course or Honors course is not offered at an appropriate time, when a student wishes to study a topic not offered in the curriculum, or when a student wishes to receive credit for a President's Academic Showcase or Honors Investigation. There are 4 categories of individualized study:

  1. Supervised Study

  2. President's Academic Showcase

  3. Honors Investigation

  4. Special Topic Request

See the Individualized Study Registration form from the Office of the Registrar for descriptions of these categories. Except for the President's Academic Showcase, the instructor fee for an individualized study is $100/unit; the instructor may waive this fee.

No more than 2 courses of individualized study may be taken during the same semester. These units will be counted as part of a student’s course load and will be subject to course overload fees if the course load exceeds 18 units. No more than 5 courses or 20 units of individualized study may be counted toward graduation. Application forms and additional information may be obtained in the Office of the Registrar or from Academic Advising. Supervised Study and Special Topics courses follow the same add/drop/withdrawal deadlines as other courses.

Internship and Practicum

Enrollment in an internship or practicum is governed by each department and are as follows:

  • School of Business and Economics internships and Healthcare Management internships

• All 490A, HCM 494, and HLMG 494 internships may be added by the student through MyRecords during the normal registration cycle. All add/drop deadlines apply and are posted on the Academic Calendar.

• All other internships and practicums, including 490B, require the approval of the department’s program director and may be added or dropped by submitting the proper form to the Office of the Registrar during the first 11 weeks of the semester.

  • School of Arts and Sciences Psychology practicum

• All PSY 390 practicum assignments may be added by the student through MyRecords during the normal registration cycle. All add/ drop deadlines apply and are posted on the Academic Calendar.

  • Internships and practicums in all other departments

• Require the approval of the department's program director and may be added or dropped by submitting the proper form to the Office of the Registrar during the first 11 weeks of the semester.

Students must complete the requirements for the internship and/or practicum within four continuous semesters including the semester of enrollment and summer. As an example, if a student enrolls during a fall term, s/he has until the end of the following fall term to fulfill the course requirements.

A grade of IP (In Progress) will be issued after the first semester of enrollment until work is completed. A Grade Change Form will be submitted by the instructor of record to change an IP to the final grade. Should a student fail to complete the internship or practicum requirements within four semesters, the IP grade will be automatically changed to a fail grade (F or NP, depending on the program). If the internship or practicum is a degree requirement, students who fail must re-enroll in the internship or practicum and complete all requirements prior to awarding of the degree.

Program performance requirements will be provided by the Program Director for the specific subject. Refer to the Graduation Requirements section regarding unit limitations for internships and practicums. Some internships and practicums that are part of licensure or certification may be excluded from this policy.

Latin Honors at Graduation

The following Latin honors are awarded to qualified recipients of the bachelor’s degree at commencement ceremonies. These Latin honors are determined on the basis of the cumulative GPA of all coursework taken at Concordia University Irvine and at all other colleges and universities attended.

Latin honors recognition for graduation ceremonies is based on GPA and credits completed through the previous semester, but the student’s permanent record will designate Latin honors including the final semester’s GPA.

Cum laude (with distinction): Awarded to students whose cumulative GPA is between 3.70 and 3.799.

Magna cum laude (with high distinction): Awarded to students whose cumulative GPA is between 3.80 and 3.899.

Summa cum laude (with highest distinction): Awarded to the students whose cumulative GPA is 3.90 or above.

Military Orders

Concordia students called to active duty or who have deployment orders can find the policy for withdrawal, refund of payment and readmission on the Student Services page in the Veterans Resource Center section.


Academic policies for the ABSN nursing program can be found on this page: Policies - Nursing.

Right to Petition

Students may petition for the review of certain university academic policies when unusual circumstances exist. After action has been taken on the petition, the student will be notified of the decision. A copy of the action will be placed in the student’s permanent file. Petition forms and additional information may be obtained in the Office of the Registrar. The missing of deadlines is not subject to petition.

Second Degrees

Students who have graduated from other institutions may earn a bachelor’s degree from Concordia University Irvine if they fulfill the following requirements:

  1. They complete a minimum of 30 units in residence at Concordia.

  2. They complete all Concordia Q&I general education graduation requirements.

  3. They complete all the courses for a major, including a minimum of 50% of the major units in residence.

Students who have received a bachelor’s degree from Concordia and return to complete the requirements for another major will not be given a second diploma, nor will their transcripts reflect a second degree. They will, however, be certified as having completed an additional major.

Simultaneous Enrollment

Students who wish to broaden their educational experience may enroll for 1 or 2 semesters at another Concordia University System (CUS) institution in another part of the country. The Simultaneous Enrollment Program (SEP) is made possible through a process by which students may enroll at Concordia University Irvine and at another university in the CUS. Academic credits earned at another CUS institution are recorded as if students earned those credits at Concordia University Irvine. Because the number of participants is limited each year, interested students are encouraged to contact an academic advisor well in advance of their intended stay.

Special Requirements for Majors, Minors, and Emphases

Students may complete a major, minor, or emphasis by completing the required units. The following rules apply with regard to major/minor relationships and multiple majors and emphases.

  1. Each major must contain a minimum of 28 units unique to that major.

  2. Each minor may contain no more than 50% of its units that are included in the student’s major or in another minor.

  3. To obtain more than 1 emphasis in any given major, each emphasis must have a minimum of 9 units unique to that emphasis.

Statement of Completion

Students who will graduate with more than 120 units and will continue on into one of Concordia University Irvine’s graduate programs may be eligible to count a portion of their final four semester’s units in their undergraduate degree toward an approved graduate degree through a Statement of Completion. Only eligible courses will be counted, and at least 12 units each semester must still be used toward the undergraduate degree. Application forms and additional information may be obtained from academic advising or the Office of the Registrar.

Student Classification

For various purposes on campus (e.g., registration, financial aid) students are classified into levels based on completed semester units. The following levels are applicable to bachelor degree students:

Freshman 0—29.99 units

Sophomore 30—59.99 units

Junior 60—89.99 units

Senior 90 units and above

Student Conduct and Personal Development

The faculty and staff of Concordia University Irvine expect that all students will exhibit personal evidence of development in all aspects of their lives. Assistance in promoting such growth is provided through academic programs, co-curricular activities, and individual consultation involving regular evaluation.

Students are expected to conduct themselves in a responsible manner in all aspects of their daily living. Students are present on campus by privilege accorded annually to those who contribute to the achievement of the objectives of the university and not by right. At the discretion of the administration, a student may be dismissed from school for serious misconduct. For further details on student conduct, student records, and disciplinary matters, consult the Concordia Student Code of Conduct, which can be obtained from the Office of the Dean of Students, the Office of Student Conduct, or online.

Student Records

Pursuant to federal law, all student records, including evaluations, transcripts, letters, and descriptions of individual students are open to review by the student to whom they pertain. Student records are the property of the university. Should any student believe records maintained in the university file to be inaccurate or unjust, that student is entitled to prepare a disclaimer or a reply to that student’s record. One copy of such a disclaimer will be stapled to each copy of the student record.

Officers of the federal and state government and representatives of accreditation agencies may have legal access to these files, as well as Concordia University Irvine officials who are required to perform duties which necessitate having access to these files. No official is permitted to make any use of the information contained in personal files other than what is required by that official’s normal duties.

Student Rights and Privacy

Each student of Concordia University Irvine has a right to:

  1. review their official educational records, files, documents, and other materials which contain information directly related to them, and

  2. challenge such records that are inaccurate, misleading or otherwise inappropriate.

It is the policy of the university that unless excluded by state or federal law, no record, files, documents, materials, or personally identifiable information contained therein shall be released to any individual, agency, or organization without the express written consent of the student/ alumnus.

Any student desiring to review or challenge their official educational records should contact the Office of the Registrar to determine procedures for such review. Any student desiring to challenge the content of their official educational records should contact the Office of the Registrar.

While the university does not provide general directory services, it may, by law, under special circumstances, release the following information about a student: name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, major field of study, class schedule, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degree and awards received, and the most recent previous public or private school of attendance. Any student who does not wish such information to be released about their participation or status should notify the Office of the Registrar in writing, at the beginning of each semester. The university is required to comply with all federal regulations governed by the Family Educational Right and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Transcripts of Record

Students may obtain an official transcript of their academic record by filing a request with the Office of the Registrar. A fee, paid in advance, is charged for transcripts. The issuance of partial transcripts is strictly prohibited. Transcripts from other academic institutions are the property of Concordia University Irvine and, as such, are under the control of the Office of the Registrar. Transcripts submitted to Concordia for admission or credit transfer become the property of Concordia and will not be returned to students or forwarded to other institutions. Under federal policy, students have the right to view the documents in their file; the university will not make copies of these documents.

Transfer Credit

Concordia University Irvine will accept transfer units completed at undergraduate, degree granting, US institutions fully accredited by one of the regional accrediting bodies. Concordia will also accept units from international institutions that are formally recognized by their county's ministry of education. The transcript(s) must be evaluated by a NACES approved evaluation agency.

Concordia accepts the following General Education certifications to fulfill most of the university’s Q& I general education requirements:

  • Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)

  • California State University (CSU) General Education Breadth requirements

  • Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT)

  • Oregon and Washington’s Direct Transfer Associate degree (DTA). Comparable transfer certifications from other states can be considered on a case-by-case basis.

  • Associate of Arts (AA) and the Associate of Science (AS) degrees that meet the CSU General Education Breadth requirements

Course requirements for the IGETC, CSU General Education Breadth, ADT, DTA, comparable transfer certifications, and the AA and AS degrees must be completed prior to matriculating to Concordia. Official certifications and degrees must be submitted upon completion of all required courses. Deadlines to submit verification or a petition for verification to Concordia are October 15 for the fall semester and March 15 for the spring semester of the academic year a student matriculates to Concordia. Upon verification, Concordia’s general education requirements are waived except for the required Enduring Questions & Ideas core courses (CPHI 200 and CTHL 200) and theology courses (p. 30).

A total of ninety (90) semester units are allowed for transfer students, of which a maximum of seventy (70) semester units may be transferred from a regionally accredited community college. Concordia will accept grades of C- or better.

  • Within the 90 and 70 semester units, only 30 non-accredited, credit by exam (AP, CLEP, DSST, IB), and/or military units may be transferred. Military credits are accepted for elective credit only unless approval is obtained by the appropriate department chair or dean.

    • To receive credit for AP, CLEP, DSST, and IB, official scores must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar prior to the beginning of the student's final semester.

  • Within the 90 semester units, up to 15 units of P (Pass), S (Satisfactory), or CR (Credit) grades will be accepted and applied towards any degree requirement. The P, S, or CR grade must be equivalent to a C- or higher grade. Credit will not count in calculating a student's incoming, cumulative or institutional GPA at Concordia.

    • An exception to this is that Concordia will accept all courses that a transfer student took in Spring 2020 and Summer 2020 with a P, S, or CR grade. These courses will count for any degree requirement as currently articulated.

Non-Accredited Units

Non-Accredited credits are those that come from institutions that are not accredited by a regional accrediting agency. Under certain circumstances, Concordia accepts credits earned by students who transfer from these institutions.

  • Non-Accredited units are only accepted if taken before a student matriculates to Concordia.

  • Non-Accredited transfer courses may not be applied to major or minor requirements.

  • Non-Accredited transfer courses may be applied to Q&I general education requirements and electives if approved by the appropriate program director, department chair, or dean.

Withdrawal from School

Undergraduate students who no longer wish to continue their enrollment at Concordia University Irvine must formally withdraw from the university through the Office of the Registrar by completing a withdrawal form. Withdrawal from all courses may take place through the last day of the semester. Non-attendance does not constitute withdrawal from classes and will result in grades of “F.” Contact the Office of the Bursar to learn about the refund policy and financial aid regarding eligibility after withdrawal. Students who return to the university after withdrawing, regardless of the reason, must be readmitted by the admissions department before they will be allowed to register for classes. If a student leaves Concordia on academic probation and is subsequently readmitted, or if the student is dismissed and readmitted, the student will return on academic probation, regardless of any courses the student may have taken and grades earned in the interim and transferred into Concordia.